Taverna Workshop for Heliophysics
Location: Room Atlas 1, Kilburn Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road M13 9PL
- Starting: 9:30 (provisional, may change if many attendees can't make it)
- Ending: 17:00
The workshop will be held in the Kilburn Building at the University of Manchester, which is marked as number 39 on the map. The Atlas room is on the first floor.
If you wish to attend but have not registered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This workshop will introduce the Taverna Workflow System. We will introduce the general principles of building workflows in Taverna, but also how to use HELIO web services and the use of the MyExperiment repository. This is a hands-on workshop, so bring your laptops.
09:35 Taverna, myExperiment and HELIO resources - Introduction
11:00 Coffee break
11:30 Practical session with introductions to specific areas
Overall aim: construct workflow which looks up events in time range, propagates them to Earth, checks for events at Earth
- download and install taverna
- import HELIO services from URL/file
- call of SOAP service
- call of REST service
- import nested workflows into a workflow (extract content from VOTable)
13:00 Lunch break
14:00 Practical session continues
- iteration strategies (dot product, cross product)
- looping and retries
- debugging of workflows
- writing bean shells
- construct workflow for propagation model call (3 steps separately - connect steps to workflow)
15:30 Coffee break
16:00 Practical session continues
- call of external tools (topcat)
- include IDL/Python scripts?
- put together all parts to a finished workflow
16:50 Wrap up and feedback
Coming and staying in Manchester
The best way to come to Manchester city centre (and the University) from Manchester Airport (code: MAN) is by train. From the airport trains to the city centre run every 15 minutes into the main Piccadilly train station; the average journey time is around 20 minutes. Some of the trains will also stop at the Oxford train station, which is also in the city centre and slightly closer to the University. Alternatively you can jump into a taxi which will cost you less than £20. More info on coming from/going to the airport can be found here.
Piccadilly (main) and Oxford Road rail stations are both within the walking distance from the Kilburn Building. If you are taking a train from the airport, it is better to get off at the Oxford Road station as is it slightly closer to the venue and all you'd have to do is walk down the Oxford Road for approximately 10 minutes. Coming from Piccadilly would take you approximately 20 minutes on foot.
Here is a map of city centre, with the train stations and the Kilburn Building clearly marked.
There are many places to stay near the University, some suggestions with approximate prices are:
- Manchester Business School (MBS) (60£/night)
- IBIS Hotel (65£/night)
- Novotel Hotel (80£/night at the best rate)
- Palace Hotel Manchester (105£/night)
- Karine Bocchialini (confirmed)
- Elie Soubrié (confirmed)
- John Brook (confirmed)
- Neal Hurlburt (confirmed)
- David Peres (confirmed)
- Chris Perry (unlikely)
- Gabriele Pierantoni (confirmed)
- Kevin Benson (confirmed)
- Phil Richards (confirmed)
- Bob Bentley (confirmed)