GPU Club Meeting: 18 March 2011
Software for GPUs inc. compiler/directives, maths libs & tools (debuggers and profilers)
About 70+ people attended, with 48 signing attendance sheet (not fully circulated) of which 12 using Cuda and 5 using OpenCL with 34 asking for training. The following presentations were given:
IT Services for Research Team: Overview of GPU Computing at UoM covering GPU facilities available to UoM researchers, GPU enabled software and GPU training available to UoM researchers
Sam Proctor: Initial Experiences with OpenCL
Igor Kozin: Tools for GPU
Daniel Goodman: Experiences of porting C to CUDA
After the presentations the following points were discussed and actions agreed.
- re training: a show of hands indicated about 15 would attend OpenCL and about the same would attend CUDA training course (from attendance sheets: 34 people had indicated request for training)
On hardware issues:
regarding future GPU cards, University model is for researchers to pay for hardware (the contribution model: pay for some, get access to all facilities), but ITSfR has submitted proposal to AMD for some kit. Specific question about AMD Fusion, NVIDIA/Arm Tegra and Tilera chips, but same answer applies. CSF is a contribution model where equipment can be hosted. Researchers are encouraged to contribute. Talk to ITSfR.
- NVIDIA had gone lukewarm on providing training or hardware but ITSfR hopeful that the University's growing GPU cluster would entice increased interest from them in future, as per AMD's interest.
- ITSfR to ask again about how University could become an NVIDIA Research Centre, eg whether teaching an under/post-grad course using CUDA would suffice.
On applications, software and performance:
- ITSfR offered a talk from Mathworks on their CUDA-based Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT). Sufficient hands went up for ITSfR to organise.
- "My OpenCL code is slower on my laptop than the CPU code. Can I get access to a bigger/faster GPU?". Yes, talk to ITSfR to get access to various GPU systems, both at the University, at DISCO and as part of the national HPC service, HECToR.
Future discussion topics for future meetings or SIGs:
Comparison of OpenMP/MPI/CUDA/OpenCL and of hardware, particularly for user codes. ITSfR to coordinate and everybody to make use of the Community Wiki. ITSfR have proposal in to EPSRC/HECToR to investigate multi-GPU implementations & Ben Rogers' group have MPI-Cuda version of their SPH work
CFD (OpenFoam, Code Saturne) and MD mentioned as key topics for future discussion
- Aqeel Al-Naser interested in integration of OpenGL and OpenCL.
Summary of agreed actions:
- ITSfR to organise talk by Mathwork about PCT
- ITSfR to enquire about NVIDIA Research Centre
- ITSfR to coordinate comparison of soft/hard-ware and different programming paradigms; everybody to put their experiences on the Community Wiki
ITSfR to organise next meeting for around June, possibly with Matt Harvey/ACEMD & Ben Rogers' group presenting
GPU Club Meetings
25th Nov 2014: 1.30-3.30pm, 2.220 University Place
Tues 26 Nov 2013: 2-3pm, B8 George Begg. Christian Obrecht on GPU implementations of fluid dynamics simulations on regular meshes: some recent advances
Weds 13 Nov: 2pm, Univ Place. John Michalakes (NOAA) and Craig Davies (Maxeler Dataflow)
Weds 30 Oct: Intermediate CUDA training run by NVIDIA
Tues 29 Oct: 2pm, Univ Place, NVIDIA and Stephen Longshaw.
Weds 2 Oct 2013 - Large Scale Optimization and High Performance Computing for Asset Management, Daniel Egloff (QuantAlea)
Tuesday 23 July MathWorks (GPUs for MATLAB) and NVIDIA (GPUs & CUDA)
Thur 2 May 2013 Lessons from GTC and on using the Intel Xeon Phi
Mon 10 Dec 2012 Dataflow and MultiGPU SPH
Tues 25 Sept Seminar on implementing financial models on GPUs, FPGAs and in the Cloud
Mon 15 Oct: OpenCL training from UoM IT Services
Thurs 25 Oct: Hands-on "OpenACC" workshop run by Cray UK Ltd.
17 May 2012 Speakers on healthcare policy simulation in OpenCL, MHD algorithms in CUDA, Tridiagonal Solvers in CUDA
20 April 2012 Francois Bodin, CAPS: "Programming Heterogeneous Many-Cores using Directives" using HMPP
23 March 2012 Roko Grubisic, ARM: "Embedded Computer Graphics and ARM Mali GPUs"
02 March 2012 Speakers on profiling, sparse matrix algebra and atmospheric chemistry
09 Dec 2011 MPI and GPUs, directives-based programming, FPGA and GPU comparison, ideas for 2012
30 Sept 2011 GPU programming in FORTRAN, multiple GPUs, image reconstruction
15 July 2011 Jack Dongarra key note on Emerging Technologies
18 Mar 2011 OpenCL, debugging and profiling tools, porting C to CUDA, real time analysis
26 Nov 2010 biological MD, smoothed particle hydrodynamics, Monte Carlo financial models, Markov models